Web(master) of your own domain

I get domain renewals email almost weekly. If you're like me, you probably register domains for crazy ideas you have as frequently as you eat. Often, those ideas never see the light of day because you're too busy. Or you realize the breakthrough from your dreamy stupor actually isn't such a great idea after all. Sadly, those domains slip quietly into oblivion.

In tribute to those forgotten domains, here are some practical—and not-so-practical—ideas i've released from my cold grip:

What are some domains that you’ve left by the wayside?

Comments

Chris Shiflett said:

You should renew pastacheatsheet.com. That's an awesome idea.

Posted on October 11, 2010 10:13 AM

Dan Ott said:

I have the same problem, as I'm sure many others do(:

For the pasta thing, you can just save this link to your bookmarks: The Geometry of Pasta

Posted on October 11, 2010 10:17 AM

Jason said:

weddblogs.com - I had an idea, years ago, that I'd create a site for couples being married to easily start blogging. I lost interest before it was created.

luckoftheamish.com - I'm not sure where I was going with that one...

Posted on October 11, 2010 10:26 AM

Dave Dawson said:

My favorite idle domain is getsandwiched.com: a site where other sandwich lovers can go and share their passion for making and eating sandwiches.

Posted on October 11, 2010 10:44 AM

Tim Crowe said:

I have so many domains that fall into this category (megaphonesforbums.org, slaughterhouselive.com). Most of them I have held onto the hope that someday I'll have a boatload of free time on my hands to actually execute (unlikely).

I've been working on a ruby gem for managing these one off sites since I have actually done a few (operationdandelion.com, bananusinfo.info). It includes a way to create a squatter page for the unowned sites. I figure I should at least let people know if they want the domain for something I'll just transfer it to them. Then maybe someone can give them some love.

Posted on October 11, 2010 10:45 AM

charlie said:

I've been sitting on forcesquare.com for a while now, it was going to be a retelling of the first star wars movie through foursquare checkins. Some day...

Posted on October 11, 2010 11:49 AM

Mike Cravey said:

Most of mine are drunken domain registrations (we know how to party down here in Austin):

holyshizzle.com
yeahooker.com
casacravey.com
thegreatsabbatical.com
and my personal fave:
operationeatout.com (an ill-fated restaurant review blog)

Posted on October 12, 2010 12:15 AM

Jason Head said:

I recently just set a bunch of domains to expire too. I was just tired of paying the fees to keep a bunch of domains I never used, mostly for the same reasons you already listed. Some were rather silly.

thelitterblog.com

Was going to be a blog all about cats and cat stuff and stuff for cats.

planetninja.com

this idea was about ten years old and I never did it. The idea was to have a site that random people could submit photos of themselves badly dressed as ninjas!
(Hmm, now that I type that I am wondering about renewing it again.)

ilikethisthing.com

I have no idea what I was thinking with this one.

Thankfully, I decided to keep genesimmonspleaseshutup.com

Posted on October 18, 2010 01:31 PM

Ryan Rushing said:

I had an idea to collect definitions of love. I bought the domain, and worked on it slowly for a long time, but eventually it was completed! (with the help of some very knowledgable people.)

Check it out! [Can you define love?]

Posted on October 28, 2010 11:40 AM

paris vega said:

i've had/have the following forgotten domains in my possession:

GreenHiker.com
PixelProphets.com
CSSLogos.com
ARelevantMessage.com

Posted on October 28, 2010 11:47 AM

P J Dodd said:

craptastic.co.uk - had a great idea, loved the name, didn't have time to get it all working

Posted on November 1, 2010 09:11 AM

Andremora said:

abrandingcompany.com will expire soon ... So obvious that I have no use for it. :)

Posted on November 3, 2010 10:45 PM

Ben G said:

This post is awesome.

here are a couple of my domains that are fading into nothingness...

brothersofgood.com