In Your Dreams

What have you always wanted to work on?

If you had your choice of any project in the world to work on, what would it be? Here’s my top three…

1. A superhero website, preferably Superman. I’m a long-time comic book reader, and I’ve loved Superman since I was old enough to read. I could quote any line from any Superman movie, comic, or cartoon that was out. When asked about my age, I would even go so far as to say, “I’m over 21” (hat tip to Superman: The Movie). A Superman web site would be a dream come true. Fantastic concept art that already exists or can even be created, huge existing fan-base, brilliant writers to shape content… what more could you ask for? (Anyone from DC listening? :-)
  2. A Nike or Team Jordan site. Just before starting college, I came across a wealth of Nike sites and was immediately. I resolved that right after school, I would move out to Portland and try to get a job at Nike. I’d be relentless until I got it. I soon learned that it wasn’t always Nike’s in-house team that did their sites, but a whole host of outsourced work. I’d love the chance to prove that a Nike site can also be accessible, usable, and extensible, contrary to popular opinion. And be done all in Flash to boot.
  3. A small portfolio for a writer or a poet. I’m talking content-rich, not content-heavy. I”d love a 6-page, no-CMS, typographic experiment where each page can be designed and styled individually. It’d be an exercise in precision, carefully typesetting on the web through a mixture of browser text, image replacement, and experimental layout and typography. How typographically precise can you be on the web without sacrificing all the inherent benefits? A project like this would really challenge that charge.

What about you? Be specific!

Comments

Tim Van Damme said:

• The online banking app I *must* use daily
  • An online magazine/newspaper
  • TextPattern's admin-interface

Posted on September 9, 2008 11:18 AM

Mark Boulton said:

Actually, for a long time, I thought an online newspaper. But, now I've almost completed one, I'm thinking again...

I like Tim's idea of a banking app. Maybe I'll steal his idea.

Posted on September 9, 2008 11:25 AM

Jeff said:

Any website, content is not important to me, but I want the client to say "Oh yeah, just type" or "Oh yeah, monochromatic", or "Oh yeah, I want a horizontal layout". The challenge!

Posted on September 9, 2008 12:05 PM

Michael Dick said:

This comes to mind a lot, especially with the blessing of being a hybrid designer/programmer; any idea I come up with is just at my finger tips.

That perfect project depends on your passion, much like your love for super man. I like to design, I like to program, and I like to keep things simple. So, my ideal project would be to take the idea of a popular app, which is bloated, and then create my own "less is more/get real" version of it.

Examples: a shopping cart app, a real estate site, a billing system, or any proven process that needs automated.

Posted on September 9, 2008 12:43 PM

Samantha Warren said:

A redesign of http://janisjoplin.com/. I am a really big fan of this rock legend who sang the blues, and the current site does no justice to her legendary music. There is so much potential for a fantastic site that unites her huge fan base and really plays homage to her soulful music.

An online community for womens skateboarding and fashion. A lot of site's that target women are too feminine and girly for my taste. I want a site that kicks ass, and provides a space for women who can shred on a skateboard. I dig the direction http://coolermag.com/ has taken... but pushing it a lot further.

A site for bottled water enthusiasts. Seriously.

Posted on September 9, 2008 01:34 PM

Very nice! Lots of web app ideas.

Samantha: Whenever you get that bottled water enthusiast site idea going, count me in!

Posted on September 10, 2008 10:22 AM