It’s that time of year again, when dreams of barbecue and geeking out can happen in the same 6-block radius. It’s SXSW!
It took a bit longer than usual to get excited about this year’s conference. Last year was a blast, but it seemed like there were too many people there. I enjoy knowing that I could possibly meet everyone there, but that feat is becoming increasingly more daunting as the years go on. I think it was doable in 2006, when I first attended. Last year seemed unlikely. This year, I’m sure it’ll be just about impossible. Although I have more than a few friends that aren’t coming for that same reason, I’ve started to get more and more excited over the previous week.
As I write this from the plane (probably over West Virginia right now), I can’t wait to be in Texas. Here are some reasons why:
- In terms of the work I’ve done over the last year, it’s been great, but also very hectic. Between losing considerable amounts of sleep on work freelance, the band, and planning a wedding, I’m due for a break.
- SXSW is one of the only time that I get a chance to see friends from ’round the globe that I would only otherwise get to interact with virtually. Can’t wait to see you all again!
- Some co-workers have some amazing topics that are always inspiring.
- There isn’t a set of barbecue ribs I’ve encountered that rival that of Austin’s Iron Works BBQ. Except maybe Fogo de Chao. But Austin has that too.
- A geeks-only bowling night is only a once-a-year event.
- I’ve got a new set of business cards, fresh to be handed out. The concept of spending money for a product that I can’t wait to give away is still strange to me, but feel free to demand one if you run into me.
- Last (but not least), I’ll have the fianceé in tow this year for the first time, so do make her feel welcome!
Hope to see you in Austin!