What’s Next?

As with a lot of blogs, regular posting on this site has been difficult. Part of it is due to time, but part of it is the inability to decide what's most appropriate. For me, honesty has always been the best policy, so I’ll just lay it out there: what would you like for me to write about?

Don't get me wrong: I’m full of ideas. But, I don’t want to write for the sake of writing. I’d love to maintain a site where the content alone—regardless of the writer, design, functionality, etc.—can keep a steady readership. Here are a couple of ideas that I’m sitting on:

What do you think? Are any of those appealing? Is there anything different that you’d like to read about? Maybe it’s a general topic, like writing more about CSS. Or maybe there’s something specific you’d like to know about.

Regardless, blogs thrive on feedback, and I’d love to hear yours.

Comments

Tim Van Damme said:

I vote Future Proofing!

Posted on September 12, 2007 10:06 AM

Mike said:

Honestly, they all seem very viable. While I may find the most use out of something like the future proofing or code snippets articles, it would be nice to point people who confuse Ajax and JavaScript to a concise explanation of the difference.

Posted on September 12, 2007 10:19 AM

Travis Fleck said:

All of the above. I'd love to hear what you have to say about each. Definitely more about CSS.

Posted on September 12, 2007 10:22 AM

Elliot Jay Stocks said:

I'm going to go with "all of the above" too, mate. However, I'd like to see the last two most of all: the Javascript / AJAX definition really needs sorting out in a lot of people's minds... and I'd definitely be keen to get my grubby mitts on some code samples. :)

Posted on September 12, 2007 11:14 AM

Jason Schertz said:

I'd have to agree with All of the Above, but I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on The power of 2.

Why not the 3rd or 4th mock up?

Posted on September 12, 2007 11:49 AM

Shawn Blanc said:

Future Proofing sounds outstanding.

Just today I started an article on the very same topic, and I would love to hear your words of wisdom.

Posted on September 12, 2007 12:39 PM

Ricky Irvine said:

Write about whatever you are interested in sharing. It's your blog. I started reading it because I am interested in your perspective on anything related to the making of a well developed website.

Posted on September 12, 2007 01:04 PM

Rob Weychert said:

What, you're too good to write about celebrity nipple slips?

Posted on September 12, 2007 02:18 PM

JD Graffam said:

This article, odd as it may sound, seems very honest and authentic. Honesty and authenticity are always a good read.

Posted on September 12, 2007 03:03 PM

Marius said:

I get excited about all subjects you just mentioned and would definitely read all of it.

Bring it Dan!

Posted on September 12, 2007 03:14 PM

Tim and Shawn: Future Proofing votes noted!

Mike and Elliot: JavaScript/Ajax votes noted! Even though it’s probably the most in-depth idea on the list and will take significantly longer to write, I’m most excited about it, so it will probably be the next article here.

Travis: Anything in particular about CSS?

Jason: I guess you’ll just have to read it to find out. :) (Coming soon… I promise!)

Ricky: Thanks for the vote of confidence. But I see it as partly my site and partly the site of those who read it. The interaction is really what keeps me going. That and Sunkist.

Rob: Of course I am.

JD: Hmm. Maybe I can just keep posting this article over and over… :)

Posted on September 12, 2007 03:14 PM

Marius said:

I'd love to see you write more on typography as well ;) Lurklurk...oh I feel so selfish right now.

Posted on September 12, 2007 03:16 PM

michael said:

I am going with Future Proofing and Ajax/Javascript, but I really enjoy all your articles.

Posted on September 12, 2007 06:11 PM

Jermayn Parker said:

For me personally I like the sound of all the ideas you have jotted down.

Posted on September 12, 2007 11:05 PM

Allan Cole said:

I can see myself being throughly interested in any one of these topics. But if I had to choose, Warning Signs would probably get my vote.

Posted on September 13, 2007 01:22 PM

Brian Warshaw said:

I vote iPhone!

... And CSS.

Posted on September 13, 2007 05:31 PM

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback! Keep it comin’!

Brian: Haha, there are others much more suitable to talk about the iPhone than me. But here’s to more CSS!

Posted on September 14, 2007 12:44 PM

Shawn Blanc said:

How about "Future Proofing your CSS typography for the iPhone with some personal stories thrown in"?

Posted on September 14, 2007 07:45 PM

Travis Fleck said:

Maybe a very brief walk through of a recent or past project. I'd love to know how you go about starting to code. Do you have a standard process you follow? What do you do first?

Posted on September 15, 2007 10:41 AM

Brian said:

You know, as a very serious answer:

You are obviously technically skilled as a coder/programmer. If swfIR is any indication, you're quite comfortable with JavaScript and/or Actionscript. Your CSS/XHTML abilities are well-evidenced in the sites that you've created.

So...

How do you approach design? While I doubt that I'll ever be a great visual artist, I am always interested in improving my design skills to the extent that I can.

How about a series of articles on design for the uninclined? As a literary artist, I know the value of avoiding a formula early on in a project, but I also recognize the necessity of using method when entering the revision phase. So how about some design method? I know I'm not the only code-slinger who could benefit from some sound theory.

Posted on September 16, 2007 02:07 PM

Josiah said:

My vote leans towards various code giveaways. I've been leeching your brain for so long anyways, it feels like this is a good next step.

lol

Posted on September 17, 2007 11:33 AM

Jon Aldinger said:

I'd like to hear about warning signs. And I'd like it to be in authentic song form. Honestly.

Posted on September 18, 2007 09:53 AM

Josh Stodola said:

LMFAO @ Rob Weychert!!

You should write about code and nothing else.

Posted on September 18, 2007 10:35 AM

Tim said:

My vote goes to Future Proofing as well.

Posted on September 22, 2007 02:53 PM

dale said:

Do a monthly code snippet post. maybe even consider making it a section all its own. I was thinking of doing something like that...but you know things go...

Posted on September 28, 2007 01:29 AM

Indixtund said:

A man is trying a very unusual way to propose to his girlfriend. He wants people to forward an email to as many people as possible and he hopes that it will eventually get to his girlfriend. Details here: http://www.proposal-to-mary.com

Here is what he wants people to send by email:

You could help me a lot to spread my proposal to Mary – it is important that it is distributed as widely as possible so that it eventually reaches Mary. If you would like to support my proposal to Mary, please send the following text by email to a lot of people :-)

------------- SNIP (email text end) ---------------

WHEN YOU RECEIVE THIS, PLEASE HELP TO DISTRIBUTE IT TO OTHER PEOPLE!

For a long time I have tried to find a special way to propose marriage to my girlfriend Mary, whom I know for five years now. I wanted it very special, romantic and memorable, something our grandchildren would still remember.

And here is my idea: I will send out the proposal to Mary to 50 complete strangers, people I don't know - hoping, that they will forward my proposal to as many people as possible, which in turn forward it etc. And some day, I hope, it will reach Mary, after it has travelled a very long way. I know, it will take a long time and I am quite nervous…

From the poem MY Mary will know immediately that the proposal is for her.

I have created a homepage ( http://www.proposal-to-mary.com ) where you can find the current status of my quest. You can use the homepage to check if the proposal has already reached Mary (in that case it is not necessary anymore to forward the mail).

Once the proposal has reached Mary, I will put a note on these pages. Also I will publish there how many people have read the proposal so that everybody can see how far it has spread and that it is getting closer to Mary.

And of course you will find there what I am waiting for most: Mary's answer! I can't tell you, how nervous I am… Will she accept my proposal? Will she like the unusual way how she got it, through the hands of thousands of messengers all over the world?

Please cross your fingers for me! And please - help me by sending the mail to as many people as possible, to help it spread, so that it eventually reaches Mary.

And here is my proposal:

Mary, please forgive me, as you know English is not my native language. And I am not a poet. But I mean it from my heart.

My angel,

Five years ago, I will always remember the day When fate made us meet, blissful Alaskan moments in May Earth spun around us and a journey began Love, warmth, happiness, enough the years to span.

The longer it lasts the more grows our bond And with 80 still - of you I will be fond Whatever happens, I will stay at your side Through good and bad, together let us stride

No second with you was ever wasted
You are the sweetest I have ever tasted
We have spent so many years - why not a life?
Mary, will you marry me - and become my wife?

Mary, if you have received that and have recognized me, then give me a sign so that I can continue with the romantic part of my proposal…

------------- SNIP (email text end) ---------------

Posted on October 25, 2007 01:06 PM

Mary said:

Dear Daniel,

Thank goodness I check your website everyday, or I might have missed this.

Now onto the romance and the vragra.

Sincerely,