Cameo

This week was great for my ego.

Here's a couple of publicity plugs for me and some of my work. First up:

.net magazine, issue 164

Cover .net magazine issue number 164

I wrote an article for .net magazine under editor Dan Oliver, who was an absolute joy to work with. The article is a brand new case study on the history and application of swfIR. It’s really exciting to see the final piece, so please drop by a bookstore and pick up the magazine. At the very least, give it a read and be sure to let me know what you think.

Computer Arts, May 2007 issue

swfIR also managed to sneak its way into this issue as a small one page feature. I didn’t write this one, but it’s nice to see the kids moving out and making their own waves.

Boagworld podcast

Paul Boag over at Boagworld graciously extended an offer to interview Mark and me about swfIR, and even a little bit about Happy Cog. He’s super-easy to work with, and he’s one of the only people ever who has made an effort to pronounce Mark’s last name correctly. Plus, he gets style points for calling it his “surname.” Gotta love the guys from across the pond; they’re always so classy.

Anyway, I was in the middle of getting over a summer cold (still am), so I don’t sound my sexiest, but, other than that, I think it went pretty well. Have a listen!

Whaddya think? Any feedback is welcome, but be warned that the chances of making me cry and pretty good…

Comments

Dave said:

Hi Dan

I'm a subscribed to .net and subscribed to your site, so it was nice surprise to see your article in the mag. It was nicely written - well done!

Look forward to reading more stuff from you (you could push for a monthly collumn... :D)

Posted on May 30, 2007 06:13 AM

Elliot Jay Stocks said:

Well done, Dan - you deserve it. Funnily enough, I was just browsing through .net in a shop this morning and it was your article that leapt out at me; mainly because it's exciting to see SWFIR taking off so quickly, but also because your name is on the front cover!

It's great to be part of a growing number of young designers who are slowly but surely getting published. (I'm hopefully speaking to Dan Oliver tomorrow about doing some writing work for .net myself. I've got a tutorial in the next issue of Computer Arts, which I think is out next Monday, or maybe a little later in the States.)

As Dave said above, pushing for a monthly column could definitely be a possibility for you.

Posted on May 30, 2007 07:09 AM

Randy Schmidt said:

Awesome.

Posted on May 30, 2007 08:02 AM

jody said:

Sweet! Grats Dan!

Posted on May 30, 2007 09:44 AM

Nathan Smith said:

Congrats Dan. The attention is well-deserved. I think you're one of the thought-leaders in web-dev today.

Posted on May 30, 2007 10:23 AM

Andrew Gwozdziewycz said:

Hey Dan, glad to hear your getting exposure. Too bad it wasn't in a community that actually matters—haven't you heard? .NET sucks.

But Serious, congratulations.

Posted on May 30, 2007 11:25 AM

Dave: Thanks for the affirmation! A monthly column sounds like a lot of work, but who knows…

Elliot: Congrats to you too! It’s also really great to see that the editors of these mags (that I grew up reading) are still actively searching for exciting new topics and passionate people to write about them.

Randy and Jody: Thanks gents!

Nathan: Oooh, “thought leader“… I like it!

Andrew: You’re probably referring to Microsoft .net, which has nothing to do with anything written here. For your own sake, please do some research before you try and berate others. You’re only making yourself look foolish.

Posted on May 30, 2007 01:30 PM

John Jacobson said:

Geesh Dan, I was going to congratulate you on a job well done. But then, I saw your harsh reply to Andrew's joke. Personally I found the humor in it (being a web developer/designer who works with LAMP solutions only). Maybe you should put your ego aside for just a moment and thank the people who spend the time to write nice comments on your website (whether they are well researched or not). It's not like he didn't congratulate you.

Posted on May 30, 2007 02:06 PM

dale tan said:

hey dan.
congrats on getting in the magazine. I remember you said you wanted to be published in 5 years like 3 years ago. so there you go!

holla!

Posted on May 30, 2007 02:36 PM

John: Point taken. Perhaps I was overzealous, and I apologize for that. However, it's very difficult to take congratulations from someone who puts down others. I’ve spoken to Andrew offline, and I did misunderstand his comment. Yet, instead of undervaluing the .NET community, his constructive criticism might have better been communicated through valuable suggestions and perhaps helping to improve it, whether through humor or not.

As harsh as it sounds, I don’t write for the praise. I certainly appreciate it, and it encourages me to continue what I’m doing, but it’s not my main motivation. I love when others give back to the community, because it's what helped me get started in this industry, so I do what I can to give back as well. Applause is a side effect, not an incentive.

Posted on May 30, 2007 02:46 PM

Jason Beaird said:

Wow, that's a lot of publicity for one month. What you got in store for June? If it involves a helicopter, several gallons of glow-paint and a herd of rabid gazelle, count me in!

Posted on May 30, 2007 03:32 PM

Crystal Bradley said:

I know somebody famous. SWEET. Can I get a signed copy? Hope life is good.

Posted on May 31, 2007 07:26 PM

Dale: You’re right! For my next trick, I’ll turn all of my friends to gold! Wait a minute, something’s not right with that…

Jason: It didn’t originally, but it sure does now!

Crystal: Gasp! You know someone famous? Can you introduce me?

Posted on June 1, 2007 01:24 AM